We're happy to announce Kiwi TCMS version 5.3.1! This release brings lots of UI updates and removal of unused and/or duplicated functionality and source code. Many pages have been redesigned with the Patternfly library to have a modern look and feel which you can experience at https://demo.kiwitcms.org.
This will be the last release to carry around squashed migrations. In version 6.0 older migrations will be deleted and replaced with their squashed equivalents. Upgrades from versions < 5.3 to 6.0 will break without an intermediate upgrade to 5.3.1!
Use kiwitcms/kiwi:5.3.1 from Docker Hub when upgrading at some point in the future!
kiwitcms/kiwi 5.3.1 a420465852be 976.8 MB kiwitcms/kiwi latest a420465852be 976.8 MB
Changes since Kiwi TCMS 5.2
- Update to Django 2.1.1
- Update Patternfly version. Fixes Issue #381
- Replace TinyMCE with SimpleMDE markdown editor. Used for TestPlan text and TestCase action, setup, breakdown, effect fields
- Allow downstream builds to customize the login templates by providing registration/custom_login.html template. It can either override the entire login page or provide additional information inside the custom_login block!
- Remove breadcrumbs at the top of pages. Only admin pages still have them
- Convert login and registration templates to Patternfly. Fixes Issue #211
- Convert 404 and 500 templates to Patternfly
- Convert dashboard page to Patternfly
- Convert TestRun new, edit and clone pages to Patternfly. Fixes Issue #17
- Convert Search Test Plans page to Patternfly
- Convert Search Test Runs page to Patternfly
- Convert Search Test Cases page to Patternfly
- TestPlan view page, Runs tab now re-uses the search form for test runs which is built using Patternfly
- Added pagination controls to pages with search results
- When creating or editing TestRun
- field estimated_time is scheduled for removal and is not shown
- product_version is scheduled for removal in favor of TR.plan.product_version
- Product & Version can't be edited anymore. Must be set on the parent TestPlan instead. Still allows to specify builds
- Remove the ability to clone multiple TestPlans from search results
- Remove the ability to upload TestPlan document files in favor of the existing API
- Remove TestCase export to XML in favor of existing API
- Remove Advanced Search functionality. Fixes Issue #448, Issue #108
- Remove tech preview feature: Django Report Builder
- The following settings have been removed MOTD_LOGIN, WELCOME_MESSAGE and TINYMCE_DEFAULT_CONFIG
- Fix pylint errors (Anton Sankov, Ivaylo Ivanov)
- Remove lots of unused functions and classes
- Remove old or unnecessary templates
- Remove html2text dependency
- Non dist/ files are no longer removed from node_modules/ when building a docker image because packages like moment.js and bootstrap-datetimepicker.js don't ship their files in dist/
- Convert TestPlans.TreeView to JSON RPC
How to upgrade
If you are using Kiwi TCMS as a Docker container then:
cd Kiwi/ git pull docker-compose down docker pull kiwitcms/kiwi docker pull centos/mariadb docker-compose up -d docker exec -it kiwi_web /Kiwi/manage.py migrate
Don't forget to backup before upgrade!
Ask your questions on StackOverflow
Kiwi TCMS is now using the 'kiwi-tcms' tag on StackOverflow to track questions. Please submit your support requests and general questions to StackOverflow tagged with the 'kiwi-tcms' tag! Support requests via GitHub or email will not be answered anymore (GitHub issues are for bugs or feature discussions only)!
Subscription based online service
We are planning to convert https://demo.kiwitcms.org into a subscription based service for people who don't want to bother installing Kiwi TCMS on their own systems and just want to use it for test collaboration with their team.
The income from this service will go towards covering operating costs and supporting the development team. Watch this blog for further announcements about this. Meanwhile you may share your thoughts via Issue #515.
Plans to remove deprecated functionality
TestRun.product_version will be removed from the database schema in favor of TestRun.plan.product_version! With the latest web interface it is not possible to select a product version different than the one selected in the Test Plan. Test runs should only be able to select product builds (after Issue #246 is fixed).
TestRun.estimated_time is scheduled for removal if not used. Objections and use-cases must be shared via Issue #514.
EnvGroup and EnvProperty models are scheduled for removal in favor of Tag. Internally tags are referenced in more places inside Kiwi TCMS' source code and they appear to be more fully developed. On the other hand while environment appears very similar to tags it is not exactly the same. Ongoing discussion is happening via Issue #484.